Tuesday, April 28, 2009

One of the great things about working with new learning technologies is that they are constantly evolving and changing. That’s also one of the horrible things about working with new learning technologies. Knowing that today’s hot new web applications, like Twitter, may well be tomorrow’s Betamax, makes me skittish about offering predictions and recommendations to faculty. How can we know which applications and tools in the Web 2.0 universe are likely to be useful to a college instructor and have any kind of longevity?

If you’re like most Pima Community College instructors, you’re teaching overload level credit hours and taking care of a family or maybe you’re an adjunct with a PCC teaching load, “day job”, and family. When do you have the time to investigate new technologies and evaluate them for use in the classroom or online?

That’s the purpose of this blog: to share the ongoing research done by the instructional design and web design teams of PCC’s Center for Learning Technology (CLT). Moreover, we want to solicit feedback from faculty, staff, and students regarding information, demonstrations, and training presented at our Learning Technology Showcases and Hands-on Labs.

Part of the CLT’s job is to discover and investigate new technologies for use in PCC’s educational endeavors. To do this, we participate in workshops, take graduate courses, attend conferences, and network world-wide with other designers during the process of course design, searching for the tools and technology that can help deliver content and knowledge to our students. We are “out there” in cyberspace using social networking technologies like Second Life and Facebook. We tweet on Twitter, we communicate on listserv lists, instant messaging services, on mobile devices by text messaging, and, yes, even by way of plain old email. We do this to help develop technologies for instruction that students have come to – or will come to – expect from a 21st century institution of learning.

To be successful meeting the needs of our college faculty, staff, and students, we need to hear from you. What instructional technologies do you want to learn about? What do you want to see demonstrated or want to try out? What type of training do you need now? Tell us by posting your comments to our blog, and we’ll do our best to bring what you want to our Learning Technology Showcases and Hands-on Labs.

To send us your thoughts and ideas, click on the word "comments" below.

Len Thurman - Instructional Designer/Adjunct Faculty

11 comments:

  1. Hi Len and all my other Instructional Designer Friends, Thanks for putting up this site. Ok, so what I am interested in is working on WIKIS for my non-blackboard classes. I have a bunch of material that I need to move from my old websites.

    Also, I am really using Turnitin.com more and more. It has so many great features for teachers including a really good gradebook, peer review sites, discussion sites, etc. You guys need to get the word out so that faculty are using it at a minimum to teach how to correctly cite and paraphrase. It is much more than a plagiarism checker. It is an excellent teaching tool.

    Sarah O'Hara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Len. I'd like to learn to send audio e-mail to students and have them send audio back. I'd like to talk to them instead of write to them.

    I tweet on Twitter, too. Would a class group be a good way to discuss homework and projects? How would I set that up? It might be more fun than a discussion on Blackboard.

    I just read Sarah's comment and it reminded me that I would like to have something like a Calculus Wiki where all the faculty who teach Calculus could contribute content -- lecture notes, assignments, activities -- maybe we could turn it into an interactive textbook.

    Diann Porter - Math Faculty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Len thanks for doing the blog on Ed Tech, One of the first things you should demonstrate is how to create an RSS feed, for those not knowing what one is, or how to place it into a reader. I have demonstrated this using my wiki, I choose to use a wiki over powerpoint so people can always find it long after my presentation is over.

    http://calstanley.wetpaint.com/page/RSS+Feeds

    Diann I would love to set up a wiki for math, free wikis have limitations on how much can be uploaded to the site. Pima currently does not have a wiki. One major problem with wikis for mathematics is that they do not support any mathematical notation, like MathJS, MathML, or LaTex. To place mathematics on a wiki you will have to create images and paste those images into the site. This complicates the process, maybe someday soon wikis will utilize one of those languages for mathematics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Len,

    Great idea. Thanks for putting it up. I'm going to encourage my Teacher Ed adjunct colleagues to utilize it. A number of them, like me, are not as savvy as we could be, but I believe we could nevertheless make some contributions.

    Mike Schuetze
    Teacher Education

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apologies for previously clicking on "Anonymous"

    Mike Schuetze

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea. I'd like to be able to post my picture on each Blackboard course. I'd also like my students to be able to post their picture. It helps make the online classes a bit more personable when we can "see" the people we're interacting with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea. How about getting us set up with a social networking platform like elgg?

    Diann - did you try using Audacity to record the audio files and to send them to the students (its free and fairly easy to use and set up)? There is also an audio email tool in blackboard (I think it sends the email to an outside email - not inside the course) - you could try voiceboards in blackboard.

    Len, thinking of the above - what about getting training on the Wimba tools for blackboard? How to and tutorials.

    Robert Foth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dean Hovey, Adjunct Writing InstructorMay 5, 2009 at 11:08 AM

    Len, it's a great blog site. But I see you've already received more requested than you can probably handle. Not that your overload will prevent my adding to your burden.

    Some of us, using Blackboard for the first time, will have to re-configure their Bb site for the first time. In Writing 102, for instance, our
    SP 2009 Bb course was designed by another instructor. Great as that site is, it doesn't represent how many of us would like to teach the course online. Thus, reconfiguration is necessary.

    What we need is some support, I think. Even with a semester's experience under our belts, the many and devious paths of Bb are daunting for us non-techs. Whattaya think?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lynn Saul, Adjunct Writing and HumanitiesMay 5, 2009 at 1:06 PM

    Thanks for this blog! I already see some interesting ideas, like twitter groups (something I haven't explored yet), but I too, like Marsha, have wanted to post photos on BlackBoard and couldn't do it (maybe under "Media" but I'm not sure.) I think having everyone's photo would be a great idea, and also, for my humanities course, people might attend events and post photos from the event that would be instructive to other students.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am really glad we have something like this finally! (I have been trying to get a blog for the DC library for over a year with no luck!!)

    on a side note...wish there was a way to make comments to comments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrea Dorse, Adjunct Social ServicesJune 19, 2009 at 9:54 AM

    Thanks, Len--
    I am comfortable with writing .html, but putting "simple" things like audio, video, and PowerPoint into my online course elude me. I'm really missing some of the basics.

    And more general discussions (like Inez' about PowerPoint content) about useful options and resources for online teaching would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete